60% Recycling of waste achieved
PR electronics has since 2005 been environmental certified according to ISO14001. A key environmental impact from our production/facilities in Denmark is our waste fractions in combination with the end of life of our products and our energy consumption. It has therefore been and is still important for us as a company to both reduce the total amount of waste as well as recycle as much as possible of the waste we produce. We regard this as part of our social responsibility.
In the financial year 2014/15, a key initiative was to set up effective waste management with the aim of increasing the percentage of waste that can be recycled and thereby reducing our environmental impact originating from our waste generation.
From 2014/15 to 2016/17 we increased our recycling from 50% to 60%. Since then, we have achieved and maintained an overall recycling rate at 60% by:
- An improved waste sorting scheme (supported by all employees) and structured reporting
- Paper and cardboard being correctly classified and sorted as two separate fractions
- Shredded paper being recycled instead of being handled as combustibles
- Food waste being recycled at DAKA ReFood’s facilities and made into biodiesel, biogas and organic fertilizer
To attain the target, PR electronics initiated a collaboration with STENA Recycling and DAKA Denmark.
DAKA Denmark is responsible for the recycling of food waste. STENA Recycling on the other hand is responsible for managing and recycling of all other waste fractions:
- Electronic waste (Frames, printed circuit boards, plugs, cables and wires etc.)
- Chemical waste (Tin, light bulbs, batteries, aerosol cans, oils, liquid chemicals, ink cartridges etc.)
- Plastic (PE, PS, PVC, A-PET, PP)
- Paper and cardboard
- Scrap aluminum, copper, tin and mixed metal
- Bottles and glass
PR electronics will continue to strive to reduce our environmental impact throughout our product lifecycle.
(Click on the image to see a larger version)