60% Recycling of waste achieved
PR electronics has since 2005 been environmental certified according to ISO14001. A key environmental impact from our production/facilities in Denmark is our waste fractions in combination with our energy consumption and the end of life of our products. It has therefore been and is still important for us as a company to both reduce the total amount of waste as well as recycle as much as possible of the waste we produce. We regard this as part of our social responsibility.
During the past four years, a key initiative has been to set up effective waste management with the aim of increasing the percentage of waste that can be recycled and thereby reducing our environmental impact originating from our waste generation.
During 2015/16 and 2016/17 our recycling target was set at 55%. Due to effective waste management by all employees we exceeded the target during 2016/17 and met our target for 2017/18 at 60%. Target for 2018/19 is set at 60% recycling.
- 2014/15 = 52,4 % was recycled
- 2015/16 = 55,9 % was recycled
- 2016/17 = 60,0% was recycled
- 2017/18 = 59.6% was recycled
2016/17 and 2017/18 results was achieved by:
- An improved waste sorting scheme (supported by all employees) and reporting
- Paper and cardboard being correctly classified and sorted as two separate fractions
- Shredded paper being recycled instead of being handled as combustibles
- Food waste being recycled at DAKA ReFood’s facilities and made into biodiesel, biogas and organic fertilizer
To attain the target, PR electronics also initiated a corporation with STENA Recycling and DAKA Denmark.
DAKA Denmark is responsible for the recycling of food waste. STENA Recycling on the other hand is responsible for managing and recycling of all other waste fractions:
- Electronic waste (Frames, printed circuit boards, plugs, cables and wires etc.)
- Chemical waste (Tin, light bulbs, batteries, aerosol cans, oils, liquid chemicals, ink cartridges etc.)
- Plastic (PE, PS, PVC, A-PET, PP)
- Paper and cardboard
- Scrap aluminum, copper, tin and mixed metal
- Bottles and glass
PR electronics will continue to strive to reduce our environmental impact throughout our product lifecycle.